On a mission.....

going beyond what is expected of me!- Dawn Maglish

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Who is Scissorboy? my mentor

Ok, so I was telling you about my mentors, but I didn't give you any names yet!  My first mentor that responded to one of my e-mails goes by the name of "Scissorboy."  I found Scissorboy on  the web while researching my mentors.  Scissorboy has a website that is a cutting edge educational site for cosmetologist.  Learning is what I love and do, so this site was so cool! http://www.scissorboy.com/
I was super impressed to say the least at what Scissorboy was accomplishing by interviewing these professional stylists. So I wanted to know more about him and how he got started in this type of business.
        First, I e-mailed Scissorboy. I asked questions for a few months. One of the main questions that I asked was to shadow him. (which means: on-site being a part of what he does and learning firsthand), of course this was on my dime! Never ask someone a favor and expect them to pay your way! Sometimes you have to spend to earn, and I was willing to take a chance for the experience.  To my surprise, he said he would be open to it. Shocked as can be and overwhelmed by this amazing opportunity, I began doing more research on what exactly I wanted to do when I finished my degree and how this opportunity would help in the field I choose, if I were to go. I had to ask myself, "Should I take him up on the offer to visit him at his work?."
          After being offered the opportunity to shadow Scissorboy, I took a chance and gave him my cell # and told him if he wanted to know more about me and my interest in the industry to call or text me. I wanted to let him know I was serious and this would be a learning experience for me. BTW Don't give a phone # or address out unless you have done your research, and know who you are giving it to. One day while at school I received a text it was Scissorboy, he was trying to call me. I was so excited! We had a conversation about where I came from, what I was about, and what were possibilities for me to come visit or help this amazing business.  A few days later, I received a e-mail about possibly going to Toronto,Ca to interview some stylists.  I had to be patience to see if this was all going to work out. If the opportunity presented itself I needed to be ready to leave even if it were last minute.                                           

   Continuing, contact with Scissorboy, he e-mailed me with the opportunity to be a part of interviewing 3 of the top stylist in Toronto, Canada.        WHAT? Canada? this was for real now!  hmmmmm
      At this point I needed to decide if I was going to be brave enough to go through with this.  What was at stake if I did or didn't do it. I really couldn't believe this was really happening!  I mean this was CANADA, another country!  Also, in the long run I needed to evaluate was this opportunity worth the money and time away from family and school to do it?  It was within a matter of 2 weeks, I needed to make a choice. I took the time to talk to my husband, who totally supported me (very important, communicate with people who are affected by your choices), pray (life balanced by faith), and  consult with a learning leader at my school (who said if I didn't take the opportunity someone else would). After an e-mail and a few days I talked with Scissorboy on the phone to confirm the trip, booked my flight, hotel, an a car, and was ready to leave!   I will leave it here for now and make another entry later! stay tuned.......

No comments:

Post a Comment